Home > News

WMO issues El Nino/La Nina Update

Source:WMO02-12-2019

Given current conditions and model outlooks, the chance of ENSO-neutral conditions prevailing during the period December 2019 through February 2020 is estimated at about 65%, while the chances for El Nino and La Nina are 30% and 5%, respectively, according to WMO’s El Nino/La Nina Update.

Sea surface temperatures in the tropical Pacific have been neutral with respect to the El Nino-Southern Oscillation (signifying that neither El Nino nor La Nina have prevailed) since July 2019. During October and early November, sea surface temperatures warmed to near El Nino levels, but most tropical Pacific atmospheric indicators have remained neutral.

WMO Global Producing Centres of Long-range Forecasts (GPCs-LRF) indicate that sea surface temperatures are most likely to return to near-average levels after November and remain at ENSO-neutral levels into the first half of 2020.

In addition to the El Nino Update, WMO has also produced a Global Seasonal Climate Update for the forthcoming December-January-February 2919-20 period. This is in pre-operational phase and is intended as guidance for Regional Climate Centres and National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs).(Dec.2)

Editor: Liu Shuqiao